Monday, June 23, 2014

To Lawyer or Not to Lawyer...

I have supportive parents and my mom was on the horn with several lawyers while I was sleeping off my hangover, making appointments for me to talk to quite a few of them. Some of them promised things to me, and this made me wary... anyone who will promise what they can do for you, without seeing your case, is lying to you to get your money. Nobody knows what the outcome of your case will be until you see the judge, I repeat no one knows, so don't fall for that trick. You might not need or want a lawyer, but for me it paid off HUGE. I ended up hiring Alcock and Associates, knowing they are a flat-rate discount firm, but I truly liked the way they do business and felt comfortable. My lawyer spent 7 months delaying my case until he felt comfortable with the prosecution, judge, and climate in the courtroom that I would have a good outcome. I didn't get my case dismissed, that's not what hiring a lawyer is about, it's about getting the best possible outcome for yourself, which I feel was accomplished and then some. The cost was $3500 including going to trial. The firm I chose was not as full-service as the $9,000 + trial fees lawyer, but for the (what would have been) $10,000 difference in cost, I can google questions I have that are not necessarily the lawyer's responsibility to answer anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment